Hey Mike.

For a trip to ZF last month, I took several old Walmart crappie pole pieces and
built a 22 foot mast by judiciously selecting and cutting pieces no longer than
28 inches so that the sections would stack and the disassembled antenna would
fit diagonally in my suitcase.

I'm hoping that has forever solved the air transport of fiberglass mast
problem.  Its not as bulky as it might seem because the narrower pieces stow
easily inside the wider ones.  And Walmart crappie poles aren't exactly heavy
duty.

I did find that unless you are good with puzzles, it is a really good idea to
number the sections in order of assembly.  Don't ask......

As far as high rises go, if you can get a wire 6 feet out and drop it
vertically it can be an amazing low band antenna - you need a weight on the
bottom that can't hurt anyone, like a hotel size plastic shampoo bottle or a
small bean bag like the tree maintenance guys use, and if you land the weight
on the ground somewhere out of the way, rather than letting it swing or be near
a pedestrian pathway, you are much better off.  In that case some monofilament
for the last ten feet or so keeps the rf away from whatever is there on the
ground.  My kx3 rarely has any trouble tuning that set up if you throw a
counterpoise wire around the balcony or can ground to a railing.

Have fun.

Scott ka9p

Sent from my iPad