I use an OCF dipole and usually throw the longend intoa tree if there is one nearby. With no trees about, I'd use a 25 to 41 foot random wire w/ counterpoise on the ground. Once, I had to ask permission to "cast" the OCF's long end over a gas station sign in Pu'unene, and got a thumbs up [stuck there with "talk story" from XYL's relatives]. Sometimes, you have to get creative, and sometimes, beg for a high spot. In tourist QTHs, sometimes your eccentric request will get a good response - tourists are odd ducks for the locals, anywhere.

Wire antennas work a lot better than verticals, esp. portable. Slopers are fine too. Anything you can tune with your ATU.

Best HI portable ops I ever experienced were near Ka'anapali, using a random wire dangled from a rock cliff near the Sheraton Black Rock and pulled down to the _veryrocky_ beach nearby. It took a while to set up, but didn't have to ask for permission either. Beaches in HI are all public access, theoretically. You may be able to use that to your advantage.

73,

matt W6NIA