So I guess the former rule of thumb, "One Dollar per Watt" has met some unspecified death.

73,

Fred ("Skip") K6DGW
Sparks NV USA
Washoe County DM09dn

On 4/21/2017 12:30 PM, Edward R Cole wrote:
Congrats to all who have wanted a KPA1500 (I'm not currently a prospect):

Interesting misconceptions already "flying"
"1500w cost three times 500w"

KPA1500 with internal tuner = $5995
KPA500+KAT500 = $2684.95*
5995/2684.95 = 2.23
*April special price

Power requirement 240vac @ 20A = 4800w
But likely the amp will draw 1500w/0.7 = 2143w (or so) plus maybe 200-300w for solid-state control ckts
call it 2400w in round numbers or 240v @ 10A (just my guess)

My 6m 1000w PA draws 50A @ 50v = 2500w (40% eff. with 16 transistors)
My 2m-8877 1400w PA draws 750ma @ 3700v = 2775w (50% eff. but with tired old tube)

20A is a convenient 240v value since breakers for that are readily available; I ran about 45-feet of No. 8 wiring to bring 240vac to my shack where I use a 60A breaker box with a 20A breaker (only tripped a couple times in several years useage - HV flashover & HV transformer failure).

I ran my own 240v run as I tired of waiting five months for the $700 Electrician to show up. I think the 4 cond. No. 8 cable ran about $1.50/foot plus costs for 30A 240v twist lock connectors/outlets & 60A utility box with three breakers. I see 2v drop on 240vac under load of the 8877.

KPA1500 nice design using separate 50v switching PS. Many new ham radio PA's coming out that use 50v so this could be multi-use PS. I would like a 2m 1500w sspa using LDMOS to replace the 8877 & HVPS. Not looking for that from Elecraft (I will probably buy a kit from W6PQL).

PS: if I were in market for HF QRO the KPA1500 would be my choice! I finally upgraded to the KXPA100+KXAT100 for my HF/6m needs (driven by either KX3 or K3/10).

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
  dubus...@gmail.com

Message delivered to k6...@foothill.net

--
This message has been scanned by E.F.A. Project and is believed to be clean.

---
http://www.avg.com