Kevin,

The current FCC rules for certificating a linear amplifier in the US (in
order for a manufacturer to sell them in the US) is described in Part 97:
http://www.arrl.org/part-97-text . Go down to 97.315 and 97.317.  The 15 dB
rule is 97.317 (2).  The history of this rule comes from preventing the use
of amateur radio amplifiers to be used in the class D Citizens Radio
Service.

Prior to the rule change in 2006, amps could not be sold in the US that
would amplify frequencies between 24-30 MHz.  The individual ham would have
to do the modification themselves (or have someone do it for them), and
could only receive this modification information if they could prove that
they had a valid FCC Amateur Radio license. For example, my Alpha had a
numerical code sequence tied to the serial number that was given to me after
proof of licensure, one of my MFJ mobile amps had a modification kit, and
another required wiring changes.  So, two conditions had to be met - no
amplification above 24 MHz, and the amp could not have a gain of more than
15 dB.  Again, this prevented, or attempted to prevent, those in the Class D
Citizens radio service from amplifying their 5 watt transceivers to the full
amateur radio legal limit.

Blocking 24-30 MHz from amplification was a bit of a hardship and an
unnecessary rule for the amateur radio service. To simplify,  the FCC
instituted a rule change in 2006, ruling that amateur radio amplifiers just
must have zero gain from 26-28 MHz.  However, the FCC did not remove the 15
dB rule at the time of that rule change, which most agree is also totally
unnecessary.

Expert Linears and the ARRL have both petitioned the FCC to remove the 15 dB
rule.  These petitions are still currently pending FCC review and action.

Should the FCC delete the 15 dB rule, amplifier manufacturers will be able
to build amps that will only require QRP power to obtain full legal limit
power, and be able to obtain FCC type certification to sell them in the US.
The question posed was whether Elecraft will offer a modification program, a
kit or modification instructions should the 15 dB rule be deleted.  The
answer, of course, was TBD.

For Elecraft, this means a KX3 or a KX2 could be amplified to full legal
limit.

So, this is the history as I know it.  I'm sure if I have anything wrong,
There will be more reply posts on this subject than Wayne received after his
KPA1500 announcement last evening!

'73 de JIM N2ZZ