The electric field of a horizontally polarized antenna is parallel to
the earth and it induces significant current into lossy earth if
its less than about 0.1 wavelength high (14 feet on 40 meters).

If you can install a horizontally polarized antenna 0.1 wavelengths
high or higher, its efficiency is superior to field expedient
vertically polarized antennas such as "magnetic" loops. This
is why end-fed half wavelength (EFHW) horizontally polarized
antennas are so popular with QRP back packers where efficiency
is very important.

On a mountaintop, a relatively low EFHW antenna can produce
astounding QRP results. These affects are very easily observed
(and measurable) with a 200 milliwatt WSPRlite transmitter and
a USB battery that will easily fit on your pocket.

On the other hand, vertically polarized antennas -- such as small
"magnetic" loops -- produce significant low angle radiation
even at very low heights. Unfortunately they also suffer from
proximity to lossy earth. They really excel at a salt water beach
(but you must be very close to salt water) or in a salt marsh (not a
particularly pleasant place to take your family or girlfriend,,,).

73
Frank
W3LPL