"Unfortunately the K3 is not highly recommended for MARS use as it does
not have full power output from 2 to 30 Mhz.”

The K3/K3s does have complete coverage in transmit full power output except for
a small portion around the IF frequency.  You would need the KBPF board for
general coverage transmit though.

On our phone patch net we utilize a wide range of authorized frequencies quite
removed from the ham bands.  The K3 has full output on all except for one where
it is close to the IF and power is reduced to 12 watts, but not a problem with
Acom 2000A and KPA-500.

Dale, K9VUJ/AFA5DJ
USAF MARS Phone Patch Net member