technology, you get a whole lot more for that money today. A ham in 1958 would
not be able to even imagine a KPA500 or a 2017 Fiat 500.

Eric KE6US

On 5/1/2017 7:36 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:
On 2017-04-30 11:26 PM, Rick Dettinger wrote:

And, that was for an amplifier that would have been closer to the KPA500 amp.
About 500 watts out.

73, Rick, K7MW

Collins 30S-1 Linear Amplifier (1 KW), 1958, original cost: $1556, cost in 2017
dollars: $13,264

So, a new technology K-Line is not that bad as something equivalent from
Collins back in the 1950s
could easily cost 4 times as much today!

It is interesting to see the price comparisons of a high end K3 set up against
some of the higher end (back in the day) equipment. I wonder about the
definition of "affordable". The cost of a K3 system for me is not affordable.