Sorry to be thick....  Is a dry joint same as a cold joint?

Thanks and 73,

matt W6NIA

On 5/4/2017 9:12 AM, Alan. G4GNX wrote:
FWIW we thought that a relay was failing on our club's KAT500. I bought a new one from Elecraft and replaced it without thinking about it. They're quite cheap and it wasn't worth chancing an intermittent relay. Whilst I was re-assembling the tuner, I discovered that the tag washer connecting Ant 1 to its screw terminal had developed a dry joint, which was the real cause of the intermittency. I don't know whether it was a manufacturing fault or someone had been heavy handed when assembling it.

It would be worth checking soldered joints and other connections before replacing a relay. You may need to use a magnifying glass as it may not show up on a meter test. Another thing to try is what we used to do as service technicians; use an aerosol freezer spray in small areas around the suspected area and possibly a hair dryer on a warm setting (not hot) and observe for changes under test.

73,

Alan. G4GNX

-----Original Message----- From: Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP
Sent: Thursday, May 4, 2017 3:07 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 with subrx - intermittent main RX problem and pwr out

Well, I had a relay fail on my KAT3 board. I don't remember which one.
Elecraft sent me a replacement. It wasn't hard to replace, but it happens.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

On 4 May 2017 16:46, Don Wilhelm wrote:
Olaf,

The relays used by Elecraft are quite reliable, so I suspect that is not
a reasonable source of the problem.  In more than 12 years of repairing
the Elecraft legacy gear (more than 1200 repairs), I have had to replace
only a small handful of relays due to failure.  I have replaced several
where the builder has distorted the case with a soldering iron.

I would double and triple check the SUBIN and SUBOUT connectors.  A
connector failure is much more likely than a relay failure.

You might contact K3support to see if they have encountered a situation
like yours before.

73,
Don W3FPR