Fellow Elecrafters--

I've successfully completed the KSB2 module for my K2/100 through p. 16
in the manual, front panel PCB component installation.

Now it's time for mic configuration, p. 17.  Winding toroids, soldering
multi-pin connectors and IC's, stuffing capacitors, etc.--those I don't
mind.  However, when it comes to mic configuration and the possibility of
fouling up my K2 via an incorrectly-wired 5V line--that's when I get
jittery.

Here are the details:

1) Initial mic to be used:  Kenwood MC-60
2) Eventual mic to be used:  Radio Shack RS 33-1187 headset
3) P1 wiring method:  N0SS's computer plug (thanks for the info on your
website, Tom) or two-pin jumpers--both are at hand.

After studying the KSB2 manual and reading postings in the Elecraft
reflector archives, here are some questions:

1) Several reflector postings mention that for Kenwood settings, just use
jumpers straight across for all the "Signal" and "Mic pin" connections.
However, on p. 18 under Kenwood mics, there's a note:  "Do not connect
pin 5 unless mic has internal preamp,"  and another, "Leave pin 6 of the
mic unconnected."

I plead ignorance--does the MC-60 have an internal preamp?  If it does,
according to the manual I should connect signal pin 6 to mic pin 5.

2) I've read a posting that mentions leaving the bottom slide switch on
the MC-60 "off."  Done.  Wonder if this negates the warning listed above
and I should just leave signal pin 6 ("5V") unconnected?

3) The MC-60 has two impedance settings, 50K and 500--is there a
preferred setting with the K2?

4) Any suggestions for wiring an 8-pin female mic plug from the RS
33-1187 that'll be compatible with Kenwood P1 settings?

Finally, it's been mentioned before but for those who need it here's the
Radio Shack part number for a package of ten two-pin jumpers:  276-1512.

73,

John, N7ON K2/100 S/N 5023

P.S.  Many thanks to Elecraft's Gary and Richard as well as to N6WG and
WB6TQG for their continued assistance with the KSB2, microphones, and
RTTY.