Kev, I can't agree more with you, excellent response. I'm also amazed with some
of the responses under this thread. I wonder what their reaction would have
been if back in the day Yaesu or Kenwood had sold them an hermetically sealed
radio to keep them from experimenting with their radio as they see fit or
stealing their trade secret. I would argue that's actually a little against the
spirit of ham radio. BTW, since the new generation of SDRs perform all main
functions, such as modulation, mixing,filtering, etc. numerically within a
chip, experimenting with their firmware/software will be pretty much the main
way to tinker with these radios. However, I totally understand the decision to
use open source is a business prerogative of Elecraft, which is the reason why
I also have an Apache Labs radio to experiment with. That platform has many
volunteer developing firmware and software and, after frequent updates, nothing
has gotten broken beyond repair thus far. đŸ˜‰

73,
Robert-KP4Y/W4

Sent from my iPhone