Grant,

RE:  "Seems to me the most straightforward approach would be to put a set of
batteries in the KX3.  Then you can drop and restart external power without
worrying about the time delay."

That was exactly my first thought as well.  It certainly works fine on receive
and it solves the "improper shutdown forgetfulness" problem, but i'm not sure I
want to pull out the power cord during transmit to see what happens.  I just
don't know enough about the power control feedback loop to know how it would
react to a sudden change in voltage.

Anyone want to put their KX3 into transmit and then pull out the power cable to
see what happens?  Oh yea, then put it back in and see what happens.  Voltage
transients like this are a very important part of aircraft electronics since
bus switching and even EMP events induce such transients, but I would doubt if
that was a design requirement for the KX3.  It is likely, however, that it has
been tested inadvertently by now ;-)

Mark
KE6BB