Ted, it's not a great strategy any time, and yes most likely that is
what was going on.  You should see their signal when they have RF on the
audio or a hum.  Not exactly meets the FCC requirements.  If you are
listening with a wide filter some times you even get to hear their
Microsoft Windows generated tones if they forget to turn them off.

Let the flood gates start with all of the "you can't tell the difference
so it's ok"  But I can and have seen it many times with bad signals..

It's not CW keying, its USB or LSB keying with a single tone.   It makes
me crazy when someone calls it CW keying, no way it is

Fred

Fred Moore
email: f...@fmeco.com
       wd8...@gmail.com