I asked this exact question on this reflector in March, and got some good
and useful replies. You can Google for that discussion on Nabble to see
those technical answers.
Bottom line is that both are fine tuners. I know I could have saved some
money by using the T1 I already own, but in the end I opted to order my KX2
with the KXAT2, and I'm glad I did. It works great, and it's more
convenient than messing with an extra box and coax jumper.
I think the choice comes down to how you want to spend your money, more
than the merits of one tuner over the other, because either one will do the
job very well. I will say that having the internal tuner and an internal
battery makes the KX2 a real grab and go radio!
I'm still using paddles that I already had, but I think the KXPD2 may be in
my future...
73 de W0ZF