I believe the Flex to be 16 bits and the Icom to be 14 bits, but if anyone has
data to the the contrary, feel free to post it.

Even the most expensive 16-bit A-to-D converters, operating at RF sampling
rates, can exhibit nonlinearity or even non-monotonicity in their lowest-order
bits. The usual work-around is to dither (spread) the clock signal, either on
the chip itself or by injecting a separate tone. This can help, but the results
can be uneven. The result is that two direct-sampling radios of exactly the
same model can vary considerably in IMD performance.

In the K3S, the ADC is operated at much lower sampling rates (48 kHz, as
required for the 15 kHz second IF). Since it is also fully protected by crystal
roofing filters, an entire class of wideband sampling spurious responses is
eliminated, and the much higher “NBSFDR” spec applies (narrowband spurious-free
dynamic range). No dithering is required, and receiver sensitivity never has to
be reduced due to out-of-band signals. That and the strong front end are why so
many Field Day, multi-op contest, and DXpeditions stations use K3S’s and K3’s.

73,
Wayne
N6KR