Jim -

I recently sent my K3 to the 'Mother Ship' for some upgrades while my wife
and I took a 3 week road trip. I hooked up the returned rig over the
weekend. Much to my chagrin, I was extremely high SWR. I verified that I
had the RF path correct from the K3 through assorted other devices and to
the antenna. While doing so I noticed one coax connector that was about 1/4
to 1/2 turn loose. I tightened it, and all was fine... for about 30
seconds.

Remembering what a wise man once said I suspected a bad piece of coax. I
checked the same connection again... it was loose... as I tightened it, all
of a sudden it became loose again. This was a 1 foot jumper, from a company
that advertises heavily. I had been using it for several years from the
output of my KPA500 to the sensor for my LP-100A. The threads did not
appear to be stripped, although it felt like it. I looked like the threads
were cur very shallow. I replaced it with a jumper I made many years ago,
using
Amphenol connectors, and all is now working as it should.

Well... not quite all... I have made some nice CW QSOs, but decided to
check SSB operation. It is not working on that mode (which I almost never
use), but I will tackle it to see what is not set correctly.

Dave - K9FN