I have S6 or so noise at home, and am sort of resigned to it; This weekend
I'm at my brother in law's house in Western MA with S1 noise.  I was
astonished.   Put my KX3 up and a Superantenna and was able to check into a
net where the net control was in MD on 40 meters, using 9 watts.

Keep on dialing around.   The contacts are there but you need to be a bit
artful getting them.

--
73 (or 72 for the QRP folks),
Rich Hurd / WC3T