    Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 09:33:41 -0700
    From: Mike Parkes <mspma...@gmail.com>
    To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
    Subject: [Elecraft] Is it my KX3/antenna or is it lousy band condx?

    Okay I am reaching our to the Elecraft enthusiasts here for some feedback
    if anyone cares to chime in.
    I am just getting back on the air after years away from the hobby, so I am
    not that familiar with band conditions in general. It looks like the
    sunspot cycle is heading for the cellar (if it isn't already there).

    Recently bought a KX3 and a Buddistick vertical (like, 2 weeks ago). Love
    the KX3 it is a great radio... however... so far my efforts to hear much of
    anything, much less make a contact with someone, has been frustrating to
    say the least. I live in an apartment and am surrounded by power lines for
    one thing. The background noise level on 40 is pretty bad varies but is
    s7-9 mostly. I  took my setup to a nearby park and the bands were
    definitely quieter. So the local manmade noise level is an issue (and one
    reason I chose the KX3 was the hope that its rcvr and filtering could help
    with that.)

    Have yet to make a single contact, so I am just wondering if I just
    happened to choose a really lousy period of solar conditions for HF? Or is
    the base loaded vertical a joke?

    I would love to be able to find another ham even close by just to try and
    get some sort of an HF QSO even if it is with someone down the block.
    ...I can tune down to the AM broadcast band and was able to hear some local
    AM stations. :)

    Mike AB7RU

    (On a side note the tuner in the KX3 is great!. That thing was able to get
    a match for 80 meters on the Buddistick which was showing something like
    25:1 swr. The KX3 tuner clicked and rattled for a while and found a match
    to <2:1. Not sure how much actual RF is going out, probably not much... but
    I was amazed it could tune to that high an SWR.)