Hi...

At the risk of jumping in on a forbidden subject I am actually waiting on
what a K4 might bring to the table. I'm currently the owner of a KX3.
Anyone that owns one probably expects a whole lot from Elecraft. In my
opinion, the KX3 is the machine of the decade. I also own a higher end SDR
radio that is great but I have my issues with it and would consider selling
it off if there was something better.

So you your question Pete, what would I like to see in a K4?

* A balance of specifications. Maybe not the best in a particular category
but best overall would be nice. Personally, I don't put a lot of faith in
the Sherwood figures because I don't think it gives the whole picture. If I
stretch for the top number in one category what compromise am I making in
another? Is it really necessary?

* More integration with a computer. I'm not a knob vs. mouse person but
soooo much can be done on a computer to augment dials and meters on a radio
front panel. So many hidden or dual-use functions could be laid bare on a
computer screen. New features can be added without replacing and rewiring
modules. Macros could be built for starting and configuring the system for
a PSK session or an SSB session. Real remote operations - with choices and
real-world designs. Just so much opportunity. But it takes a special skill
to present this properly. Win4K3 is a great step in the right direction.
But what if that new feature of N1MM (cluster on panadapter) be plugged in
as a module into the Win4K3 suite. That's just an example. In fact, I think
the sky's the limit and my imagination is sorely lacking. What if the new
K4 controls software was modular and new panadapters or modes or monitors
or... could be plugged in at will?

* I'm not looking for another portable rig. The KX3 is all I can think to
want for the near future. I wouldn't mind seeing a new desktop or rack
(closet) mount rig that has easy to use controls, excellent displays and
functions perfectly for someone without a computer just as well with a
computer. I know this probably sounds odd but the classic look of an
FT-1000MP MkV Field is a beautiful sight to me. It looks like a
professional device where, sorry to say, some others look kind of toyish.
It's an aesthetic thing I guess. My current radio has no controls at all
other than a power button and a minimally functional OK button. If you take
a look at K3S advertising on Elecraft's site I think they understand. I
just don't think the desktop rigs have to be so compact. I wonder, if
compactness was removed as a design criteria what other criteria could be
expanded?

* Finally, the same service we get from Elecraft today. That means Wayne
continues with those cool new features he puts together in software and
doesn't let a bug sit on the list untouched for three years. I want to be
able to open up the box and replace a fan or module myself. I don't want
the rig to become a black box tries to lock everything away.

* Open Source? I know about the arguments and understand open source is
nearly impossible to integrate profitably into a business model. But as an
end user, I have benefited from a lot of open source projects. Not just to
save money but sometimes to get features I can't get from a monolithic
software company. But I keep hearing ARRL and other organizations wondering
where all the hams are going and how we can attract them back and I see
things like Arduino and Raspberry Pi and even things from Microsoft that is
attracting young engineers and technicians in droves. If Elecraft could
bring some of that enthusiasm to the service then it would be a company
that could would actually deserve loyalty. This is a hard point for me to
make. If I pay $100 for a product and get $100 in value I'm happy, not
loyal but happy. If someone came across with a product for $100 and I get
$1000 in value, I'm aiming towards loyalty. This is where I think Open
Source begins to fit in.

Just some ramblings. Even rumors of a K4 are exciting and I'm looking
forward to hearing other thoughts.

73,
Kev K4VD