Here's a 1970-era small western world 'clandestine' set called the AVCO
TAR-224A:

  http://www.cryptomuseum.com/spy/tar224/

It's about three times the bulk of the KX3, which is very small for the era and
not too large even by today's standards.  It puts out 20 watts A1 or A3 from 2
to 24 MHz, and is all solid state with auto antenna tuner and Morse key built
onto the front panel.  (Sounds familiar.)  This 47-year-old set will typically
cost today more than a new full-house KX3 if you find one for sale!  I have
one...it's the provenance that attracts.  Technically speaking, only its
suitability for use in unfavorable environmental conditions gives it any
advantage over a KX3.

Mike / KK5F