In addition to the hard limiter Elecraft provided threshold and slope controls in the AGC system.

On 9/3/2017 4:04 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
The advantage of controlling the gain manually is not an "old wife's tale".
Rather, it's clearly just a technique that is not for everyone.

AGC will reduce the gain according to the strongest signal inside the I.F. passband.
Manually riding the "RF" gain ensures that a very weak signal is not affected
by a strong signal that is also inside the I.F. passband. Of course that means your ears
could be blasted by that strong signal, which is why Wayne included a hard limiter that
can be enabled to chop such a signal down to size, making it no louder than the weak
signal we want to copy.