From: Bill Frantz <fra...@pwpconsult.com>
Date: 9/10/17 5:10 PM (GMT-04:00)
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 and Expert 1.3K-FA amplifier power

I have just set up an Expert 1.3K-FA amplifier with my K3 (with
most of the upgrades to become a K3S). My question is, when I
drive it with 10W set on the K3 output power, it shows a drive
level of about 30W and and output level of 950W. What is going on?

Details: The two boxes are connected with about 6' of RG-58 for
the RF and a custom cable made by KC5PCB, Dan Tassell for the
rest of the signals. The output is into a dummy load, although
very similar measurements occur with my trapped vertical
antenna. Tests were in the CW portion of the 20M band.

The Amp is powered from a dedicated 120V circuit which shows a 7
volt drop at 12.7A during CW key down transmission. (Voltage is
measured by a Fluke 87 DVM and current by a Kill-A-Watt PA4400.)
An external YS-60 power meter shows 800W, which seems reasonable
agreement given the accuracy of RF power measurements.

Why does the K3 show 10W and the amp show 30W? Is there
something screwy here, or is it normal?

73 Bill AE6JV

Bill Frantz        | The first thing you need when  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | using a perimeter defense is a | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com<http://www.pwpconsult.com> | perimeter.
| Los Gatos,
CA 95032