2005, Ft. Lauderdale-->6Y-->P4-->HP-->TI-->XE [x3]-->Los Angeles.  Bought the KX1 to take on the trip 15 day trip.

I wrote to Princess Lines with the radio specs and photos.  Answer by telephone was "Absolutely not!  It might interfere with operation of the ship and you could start a fire."  On the principle that "the Captain runs the ship," I took the rig, contacted the Purser's office after we were aboard, and a very young junior officer came and looked at my radio.  Once he knew the power and frequencies, he said, "You have permission to operate your amateur radio set but not in public spaces, and do not remove any paint," and wrote this in my log.

This confined me to the "balcony" outside our stateroom, which would more properly be called a "shelf," maybe 4 m x 1.3 m or so. I had chosen to take my 8 m wire+counterpoise made by peeling the braid back on RG-58 since the MP-1 knockoff I have looks suspiciously like a pipe bomb on the x-ray.  Stringing 8 meters of wire in a 2 meter square hole in 3 cm thick steel proved to be a challenge.  Doing so in a configuration that would actually radiate was an order of magnitude harder.  It did work, I managed about a dozen Q's with So. Americans [the ship was between me and NA all the way].  I've never taken a radio on a cruise again.

I used a 4S1P LiFePO4 battery with no way to charge it, but I didn't come close to depleting it.  15 days on the Big White Boat was about 5 days too many.  The Canal was great.  YMMV

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County