On 9/28/2017 9:05 PM, Drew AF2Z wrote:
One of the limitations of a compact rig is that the state of a particular control or button is often displayed in another location on the panel far from the button location itself.

Gee -- every time I buy (or otherwise need to use) a new product, I RTFM. As a result, I've never had any problem with knowing how the K3 works and getting it to do what I want it to do. And I never bother with FAQs, which are written either for users who have never RTFM, or who don't know much about the functions for which the product is designed, or for products for which the manual is so bad that everyone has questions. :)

I'll be 76 years old in a few weeks, and I've been a ham for 62 years. I've owned and/or used dozens of radios over the years. I find the design and user interface of the K3 series of radios VERY well thought out and both the front panel controls and the display quite logical. But then, I RTFM.

Another thing -- a K3 is pretty easy to pack as a carry-on -- W0YK carries two of them in the passenger compartment for DX and contest trips! Try carrying on ONE of those big boat rigs.

73, Jim K9YC