Thanks, everyone who responded to my earlier query - I now understand that the circuit in the K3 is equivalent to the old bipolar transistor switches we used to use for serial port CW/PTT keying.

So here's my problem - I have a small 12V DPDT relay that I want to use to switch the power to my SDR's preamp and active antenna - in other words, to cut them off when my K3 is in transmit.  What I can't figure out (be patient with a history major, please!) is how to use the Key Out jack to switch the power to the relay , while using the same 12V supply to power both the relay and the preamp/active antenna combo.

Ideally, the 12V relay would only be on when the K3's PTT was on.  The thing that's driving me nuts is that I had this working, once before, and then tore it apart for not very good reasons. Now I can't replicate what I had.

Would anyone be willing to go offline and help me figure this out?

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network