Hi:

I'm the one that recently reported problems with the KPA500. I've replaced
all RF cables including the one out to the BALUN and the BALUN itself. I
know which bands are less than 10:1 in bypass and locked out bands that
exceed that SWR. Something in the amp just refuses to switch from straight
through (standby) to amplified (operate) and the radio sees infinite SWR
with the KPA500 in operate mode. Elecraft had me check one resistor that
might cause the problem and said further troubleshooting would have to be
at their facility. While I'm trying to dig up some schematics to help out
I'm getting the feeling it will be on its way back to E for service
shortly.

In the meantime, I got comment about how I run my KAT500: "KAT500 - We
normally leave the KAT in the MAN position, not AUTO. With varying SWR, the
KAT will tune while in transmit when in the AUTO position."

I'm not quite sure what that to make of that. I have my KAT500 in the AUTO
position thinking it's a good thing that the KAT will tune if something
happens... which it never does. But in AUTO, at least the tuner will retune
if I jump to a frequency that is not in memory.

In MAN mode, I have to initiate tuning myself. Why would I not want to let
the auto-tuner auto tune?

73,
Kev K4VD