Several years ago in a WPX contest I could easily copy most European stations
at nearly any speed.  However some loud stations, I believe from Finland and
Arctic Russia, sounded like a nearly solid tone if they sent much above
approximately 18 WPM.  I have noticed this on other occasions when signals
passed nearly over the north pole.  I have also noticed this when I have
operated from north of the arctic circle in Europe.  Repeatedly calling CQ at >
35 WPM is fine when they get answers nearly every time, but often they did not
get any answers for long periods of time.  If the DX would have slowed down
(say to 16 or 18 WPM) for a CQ occasionally they would have probably picked up
some of us who are propagationally and/or speed challenged and got a valuable
multiplier like my Alaska section.
     I have operated as a maritime shipboard and also as a shore station CW op
many decades ago.  If we had long or complicated traffic to pass we would often
slow down to <20 WPM even if both of us could copy faster.  I did not have my
K3S during that WPX contest, but doubt that even its good decoder could have
done much with some of these 35+ WPM polar signals.
                 Rick   KL7CW    Palmer, Alaska

Sent from Mail for Windows 10