Re:  "...even with 24/7 external power (13.5V) when the rig is "Off", it will
drain the internal batteries down to near zero!"

One problem is that you now have damaged cells since they have been discharged
to below 1 volt per cell.  I suggest you stop trying to troubleshoot your radio
with damaged cells.

Install a fresh set of low self discharge (LSD) cells and watch voltage daily
until you have confidence that the voltage is staying constant.  I recommend
Eneloops since mine have worked so well since I installed them in early 2013.
The voltage should remain constant for months once it has dropped to 1.2v per
cell (1.2 x 8 = 9.6v).

Sometimes my KX3 sits in my go pack with no external power for months.  Other
times it sits on the desk connected to a 13.8v supply.  With Eneloops
installed, I have not seen the discharge rates you have.

I did experience similar discharge rates once when I tried a set of Energizer
cells.  They were not LSD, however.  I quickly took them out and reinstalled
the Eneloops.

I haven't looked at the schematic for a long time, but as I recall, the radio,
including the KXBC3, are powered by the higher of the internal battery or
external power voltages.  The radio portion is turned on and off by a MOSFET,
but the KXBC3 is tapped off upstream (closer to the battery/power plug), so it
can continue operation after radio shutdown.  This suggests that if your KX3
has external power applied and the battery is discharging, it is MOST LIKELY
due to cell self discharge and NOT the radio or charger.  So do yourself a
favor and install a new set of LSD cells.

Mark,
KE6BB

null