Nov/Dec 2017 QEX has a very nice article by W4ENE on how typical male voice
waveform asymmetries will cause peak-riding ALC to unnecessarily limit
average power even through compression and other technologies.

I myself had noticed that my voice on an oscilloscope or as seen in
Audacity, has these extreme asymmetries, even larger than the examples
given by W4ENE.

W3AM has a very nice web page on the subject too: http://www.w3am.com/
8poleapf.html

There he illustrates a simple op-amp all pass network that has substantial
phase shift across the male speech bandwidth to “break up” the asymmetry.

With links to the Kahn Symmetra-Peak, a broadcast radio unit that dates
back the 1960’s.

I’m gonna be building some hardware for myself soon!

Originally posted by Tim N3QE to PVRC list.

jim ab3cv