From: Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] UHF connectors [was: Array Solutions Lightning
        Arrestor]

Thanks for this excellent post, Alan! IMO, "mismatch loss" is a figment
of the imagination of those who never get outside the lab. Transmission
lines was one of my favorite EE courses, and I never heard of it until I
heard it referenced in online discussions a few years ago. And the
purported losses in connectors are an urban legend with almost basis in
fact. Several years ago, W8JI poetically observed that if the 1 dB loss
falsely attributed to UHF connectors was true, each would be burning 35
W carrying a legal limit signal, and be starting fires!

Keeping track of losses in systems is, of course, a great thing. Our FD
group runs (and has won several times) FD 1A QRP Battery. Every piece of
coax in our station is low loss RG8 or RG11.

73, Jim K9YC

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail: