Thanks, Bob. I'll do just that when I get a chance.  And I might just try
the 1:1 also!  I have an Array Solutions analyzer, been meaning to scan it
to see exactly what the tuner sees.  All of this requires a ladder and some
creative juggling of tools/laptop etc. ;)

73
Chris

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:04 AM, Bob McGraw K4TAX <rmcg...@blomand.net>
wrote:

> Chris;
>
> Add or remove about 6 ft of the open wire line.  See if this helps the 17M
> issue.
>
> I personally don't like the idea of using a 4:1 balun and much prefer a
> 1:1 current balun.  With the 4:1, without measuring the Z on the coax side,
> it may be the Z presented to the tuner is very low and thus outside the
> range of the tuner.   Additionally, it is most likely with almost every
> ATU, the greatest loss occurs when the Z is low to very low.  Hence my
> reason for using a 1:1 and not a 4:1.
>
> 73
>
> Bob, K4TAX
>

> On 2/13/2018 7:55 AM, Chris Hallinan wrote:
>
>> I have a very similar setup.  K3 -> KPA500 -> MFJ 994BRT 600W autotuner
>> mounted remote -> Balun Designs 4:1 -> 600 Ohm open wire line to 80 m
>> doublet.
>>
>> It works fantastic on 80-20, but will not tune better than about 2:1 on
>> 17.  I cannot use the KPA500 on 17 because the SWR is too high.  Nothing
>> I've tried works.  I'm wondering if it is simply the tuning
>> range/resolution of the MFJ-994BRT?  I like the idea of remote mounting,
>> as
>> I have only a couple feet of coax between the tuner and the balun, thus
>> minimizing SWR-related feedline loss.
>>
>> Any suggestions for how to get it to tune on 17?
>>
>> 73
>> Chris - K1AY
>> Punta Gorda, FL
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 12:16 PM, John W2XS <jm...@optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>> I replaced my Johnson Matchbox with a Balun Designs tuner balun. The
>>> biggest
>>> benefit is that the K3 ATU remembers the settings from band to band so
>>> the
>>> QSY is very rapid. I love watching the DX spots come rolling through on
>>> my
>>> N3FJP logging program and clicking on them to QSY to that frequency and
>>> not
>>> have to tune up again. I use it on 80 through 6 meters with an 80m
>>> doublet
>>> fed with KW ladder line (300 ohm).
>>>
>>> My recommendation is to keep the piece of coax from the balun to the rig
>>> as
>>> short as possible.  This is to minimize loss since that line will most
>>> likely be highly mis-matched on most bands. There was a QST article not
>>> that
>>> long ago which detailed the losses in that situation and I was surprised
>>> at
>>> how high they were.
>>>
>>> I once had an MFJ balanced RF Ammeter and made measurements of the JMB
>>> vs.
>>> the balun and they compared favorably.  DJ0IP (referenced earlier) has
>>> kindly put those measurements on his website. (This is in the FWIW
>>> category!)
>>>
>>> I have not tried to substitute the tuner balun with another type but that
>>> might be a future experiment.

> [...]

Life is like Linux - it never stands still.