From: "Chris Hallinan" <challi...@gmail.com>
To: "John W2XS" <jm...@optonline.net>
Cc: "<elecraft@mailman.qth.net>" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: 2/13/2018 8:55:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Suggestions needed - antenna to tuner

I have a very similar setup.  K3 -> KPA500 -> MFJ 994BRT 600W autotuner
mounted remote -> Balun Designs 4:1 -> 600 Ohm open wire line to 80 m
doublet.

It works fantastic on 80-20, but will not tune better than about 2:1 on
17. I cannot use the KPA500 on 17 because the SWR is too high. Nothing
I've tried works.  I'm wondering if it is simply the tuning
range/resolution of the MFJ-994BRT? I like the idea of remote mounting, as
I have only a couple feet of coax between the tuner and the balun, thus
minimizing SWR-related feedline loss.

Any suggestions for how to get it to tune on 17?

73
Chris - K1AY
Punta Gorda, FL