Can a program like DX4Win simply act as a Data Terminal to the P3?
It *can* but DX4Win dos not provide that capability.

I know you need a communication package connected to the P3 for it to
accept commands, like KY and Transmit, so I wonder how to get them
both on the COM port unless DX4Win is the hub.

The application (e.g., DX4Win) needs to multiplex its radio control
commands with the KY; command on transmit and poll for received text
(TB; command) on receive.

Win4K3Suite and DXLab Suite (DXKeeper, Commander and WinWarbler) are
the only two (Windows based) applications that support both control
of the K3/K3S/KX3/KX2 and the P3 "Terminal mode" as far as I know.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV