And before that we used CW.  I built a keyer/sequencer (still have it in storage) that used an Accu-Memory board with a lot of peripheral CMOS to automate the station sequencing.

I counted down the 60 Hz to generate timing, either 15 sec or 2 min depending on mode.  This started the changer over sequence and the memory playback.  However, the generated CW was run through a shift register (FIFO) with a variable speed clock that determined the TX delay, allowing the various stuff to accomplish their missions. Some retriggerable one-shots held things in the correct states until the message ended and the sequence reversed.

I ran an 8877 and GaAs FET preamp at the antenna and never had a failure except when I rushed to get on FM using a multimode (non-sequenced) rig to work W5LFL.  I blew the antenna preamp and had to climb the tower to bypass it.  I still worked him, receiving the signal report, "N7WS 59, the loudest signal we've heard in the spacecraft."

Wes  N7WS