I run my K3, which has the KIO3B upgrade , making it like a K3S. I usually have the K3 USB coming int through another USB hub. (Note that KIO3B has in internal hub branching out to a USB Audio Codec, and a FTDI USB <--> RS232 interface. As such, all the RS232 parameters in wsjt-x are used, so it is important that they are set correctly.

I did have to fiddle with the driver configuration on my MacBook, probably because I installed a FTDI driver before Apple started providing one with the system, and 2 drivers confused things. (I don't know if Windows has a similar issue, but I understand that recent releases of Windows include a FTDI driver.)

I do all kinds of things with my computer, mostly downloading and reading email, while my FT8 contacts complete themselves.

If you had a K3 without the KIO3B upgrade, you should be able to get wsjt-x to control the rig through the CAT interface using a USB <--> RS232 converter (brand Elecraft recommended). Really, the things you are buying with the KIO3B are fewer cables and fewer audio level adjustments.

73 Bill AE6JV