Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your prompt response.  I have run the test you suggested with the
following results.

Test Conditions

Tuner bypassed, KX 3 connected via 18" commercial RG8X patch cable to dummy
load, power via internal Eneloop batteries with three charge cycles since new,
frequency 10.136 Mhz, receive battery voltage 10.8v, battery voltage during
transmit 10.2v

Results

.5W    SWR  no reading (double dashes)

1.0W  SWR 1.0 - 1

2.0W  SWR 1.0 - 1

Stepping the power up in .1w increments from .5w  gave no SWR reading until .8W
which was 1.0 - 1

The above test was then run at a frequency of 14.074 with the same results.

I then repeated the above tests with two other convenient power sources.  An
external sealed lead acid UPS battery which gave a receive voltage of 11.0v and
a transmit voltage of 10.9v.  and my station power supply giving a receive
voltage of 13.6v and a transmit voltage of 13.5v.

The result of the tests with the alternate supplies were exactly the same.

Hence it appears that at transmit voltages from 10.2v to 13.5v, a KX 3 power
setting of .8w is required for an SWR measurement to be obtained.

The two antennas I was attempting to tune which led to the original question
were a 135 foot doublet at 30 feet and a Buddistick mounted to my shop picnic
table.  The doublet does indeed have a low impedance as you suggest.  I have
not measured the impedance of the Buddistick.

I am quite interested in your analysis of the above results.  Should the KX 3
give an SWR reading into a dummy load at .5W output?  If so, what can be done
to adjust my unit.

73 de AL7CR