For what it's worth... I did roughly the same comparison a year ago, and
then sold my 817 to partially fund the KX2 the following week. I don't
regret it. The KX2 is hands down superior in every way for the bands that
the two rigs have in common.

I too would like to have a VHF/ UHF all mode portable rig, and while it
would be cool to have that in the KX2, I'd be just as happy if it were a
separate radio . I have the 144, 222, and 432 Elecraft transverters, and
their seamless integration with the K3 makes them a joy to use.
A small standalone V/U all mode full duplex rig would be slick for
satellite though.

One other place I've seen the 817 get a lot of use is as a 144 MHz IF rig
for 10GHz use. I know several guys that own one just for that. If I ever
get the itch to build up a 10 GHz rig, I'm guessing the KX3 with the 2m
option would make a great IF. Anyone out there doing that?