As far as older Yaesu transceivers are concerned, their design is proprietary and cannot be brought into the mold without serious
converters (which should frankly be easily constructed by the serious
amateur).
Yaesu's transceivers were the *first* to use BCD "band data".  As such,
it should be incumbent on anyone using that interface to be electrically
compatible with Yaesu's interface (source +5/+12V for logic high, open
circuit for logic low).  Even the amateur DOS based logging software
that provided "band data" on a computer LPT port duplicated that
interface.

Absent any documented standard for the interface, any product developer
who claims to support "BCD band data" should be expected to properly
emulate the Yaesu "ports" so that their receiver works with any Yaesu
transceiver and/or their transceiver properly drives any Yaesu amp
(FL-7000/Quadra).

The issue is accessory makers who are not +12V tolerant and those who
apply voltage to the BCD lines ... and transceiver makers who provide
"band data" ports that do not source +5/12V for logic high.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV