I used a HA-1 keyer during the early 1960's.  However, it was not the first successful commercial electronic keyer!

It was my third keyer.  My first keyer was the "Mon Key," which did not have self-completing code elements, and my second was a Eldico, which was self-completing.  Both these earlier keyers had built in paddles.

73,  Chuck  NI0C