Byron,

You will have better and more stable power out if you increase the audio to 4 bars solid with the 5th bar flashing.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 3/6/2018 3:21 AM, Byron Peebles wrote:
.

So, I had the radio listening and keying, but not making any noise. What I missed is the LEVEL control that you get in DATA mode when you fiddle with the MIC level knob.  I moved it up until I had three or four bars on the ALC meter, and it seems fine.  In order to test the settings I decided to make a few contacts and after my first 50 QSOs I thought it might be good to post something here for those who, like me, are just starting out in digital.