From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net [elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] on
behalf of Dave Heil [k...@frontiernet.net]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 10:30 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] DMM Recommendations -- Fluke 179?

In the past, I had Fluke and Beckman meters and, in my days in
industrial electronic sales, I sold both of them.

In recent years, I've become a fan of the Chinese-made copies at Harbor
Freight.  They have the functions but not the price.  At $19.99, I was
able to buy a couple of them--one for the shack and one for the barn.
You might give them a look before throwing money at the market leaders.

73,

Dave K8MN

On 19-Mar-18 15:09, Dauer, Edward wrote:
> My inexpensive DMM is becoming troublesome – internal rotary switch contacts
> intermittent, requiring wriggling back and forth before it will give a
> reading on some ranges.  And it has limited functions
>
> Some research suggested the Fluke 179.  I would like to have autoranging, all
> the usual DMM functions, plus capacitance, diode testing, frequency, and
> temperature.  Amazon sells it with an accessory kit (the Fluke 179/EDA2) for
> just under $300.  That’s about four times what the less expensive brands go
> for.  But on the theory that it’s better to buy the best first and cry only
> once, is the Fluke 179 worth the price?
>
> Ted, KN1CBR

> Message delivered to k...@frontiernet.net

---