Back in the early 80's, a friend of mine had a job-related
subscription to "NASA Tech Briefs" (or something like that title).
I never read the article myself, but my friend was very good at
relaying details.

One of the subjects covered was soldering and the "shock wave" problem.
IIRC, the leads could be trimmed with a scissor-like tool.

I would think the nippers that someone mentioned would be OK
to use because of the way the cutting edge is designed.

I tried to find the Tech Briefs on the web, but no luck.  If
anyone has access to those publications I would sure
like to read the article.  Again, that was back in the early
80's or maybe late 70's.

73,
Charlie, N0TT

>Sorry but cutting wires after soldering is "bad practice"; NASA wanted
the soldered connection left undisturbed.

>If I ever saw an assembler or tech doing that "bad practice", they'd get
a verbal warning that first time and a written warning if >it ever
happened again; but I had good, conscientious people and never had to do
that.

>So, tin the wires if needed; position the part and then trim wires
before doing the final soldering.