I built my K2 SN-4216 2 years ago and all seemed well for those 2
years. I had a couple of bumps in the road here and there, but nothing
serious...nothing that was not easily resolved. I was a happy camper. I did
find that my power adjustment on R26 was way off. I thought I had 100w
output, when in fact, thanks to Don Wilhelm and Tom Hammond, there was only
65w coming out of the KPA-100.

        With a solid method in hand, and the rig hooked up to a dummyload, I
measured the RF voltage at the dummyload with my trusty Elecraft RF probe,
did the math that was provided to me, and found what the actual output was.
That was easily adjusted and all is well, again. Also, Don, or Tom (can't
remember which) gave me this nifty method for adjusting R27. It worked fine
and now I am confident that the SWR bridge is reading correctly.

        I recently built the KAT-100-1, put it in line and all seemed fine
until I tried tuning on 40m. It appeared that I was getting RF in to the
tuner and the K2, as the tuner would go crazy when trying to tune it on 40m,
and on the occasion that I could get it to tune, when I would transmit on
phone the leds on the KAT0-100 would flash and give me a real light show. It
would also cause the K2 to do a RESET. I found that I could reduce power to
below 10 watts, and it would tune fine on 40m. Then turning the power back
up and transmitting on phone the leds would still go crazy.

        Tom Hammond contacted me and suggested I try something that he had
come up with. He explained that the problem was more than likely a parasitic
occilation, possibly just outside the 40m band. He sent a pictorial of the
modification that he was suggesting. It just consisted of moving the RFC at
the SO-239 over a bit, a little further away from the SO-239. It took me
about 30 minutes start to finish, and it cured my problem.

        Now the K2-100/KAT-100-1 work great together, as they are supposed
to. Occilations gone, power output up were it is supposed to be on the
K2-100 and the metering is more accurate now.

        Before, I was fat, dum and happy. Now, I am still fat, a little
smarter and still happy.

        Thanks a million for being there Tom and Don.

Stan Rife
W5EWA
Houston, TX