Puck,

If the AGC is working on that KX1, it should not become less sensitive with full rotation of the RF Gain, so I suspect something is not working in the AGC circuit. If the AGC is not functioning, strong signals can overload the receiver.

Motorboating can be because of the batteries - normally happens only when the batteries are near discharge. Try an external supply or brand name new alkaline batteries and see if it goes away.

Don W3FPR