I have K2 SN 567. I didn't really have a problem with it, but I bought it used in 2005, had W3FPR look at it then, and install latest mods to bring it up to date. Today, I thought it might be time to take a look at alignment, and freshen it up a bit.

When I did the "PLL Ref Osc Range Test" in Alignment Part II, the range was slightly less than 6 kHz. When I got to "VFO Linearization", 40 meters was fine without any INFO messages.

I was using the original Rev B manual (not related to RevB board) that came with it. Under Part III, Alignment and Test there is another "VFO Linearization (All Bands)". I did that and every band failed (INFO 232) except 40 meters. And of course, in the Rev B manual, there is no INFO 232 only 235. Anyway, I checked around Q19 as the Troubleshooting suggested and found X1, but no X2. After reading the circuit operation, I was convinced somehow X2 got left out. Since it was supposed to be there to prevent the very short range problem I thought I was experiencing, I thought I had found the problem.

I emailed Elecraft to order X2, and got a nice note from Mike saying they would send one out no charge. That kind of service still amazes me. But I told him to hold off until I can hear from this group.

I checked my other K2 manual (I also have SN 6911), and, first, it does not have a procedure for VFO linearization on anything but 40 meters. In fact, it says INFO 232 probably occurred because I wasn't on 40m. And the parts lists says X2 is not used!

I went into this without having any actual problem or complaint. The old manual convinced me I did. The later Rev I manual says I might, but didn't know it. I'm supposed to have a PLL range of 9.8 to 15 kHz. I have 5.97 kHz.

So if that is a problem, the problem is associated with Q19 which is a very simple stage. X1 is probably the most likely cause. Any ideas?

Also, since two crystals were originally used to "de-Q one another to increase the tuning range", what was done to make two crystals unnecessary?

Thanks for any help,
Eric KE6US