I am mostly a CW op so will leave it to others to offer suggestions on SSB
filters.  I have owned or operated rigs with various narrow CW filters and none
sound anywhere near as good as my K3S with my 400 Hz filter.  If you are
interested in even a moderate amount of CW, I think this filter is a good
purchase.  The K3S sounds just perfect with this filter, and you can narrow
down the passband even further with the DSP filtering.  On other rigs I often
needed to switch in something like a 200 Hz roofing filter when the going got
really rough in a contest or DX pile up.  My plan was to add the 200 Hz filter
to my K3S, but now doubt that I will even bother.  If CW contesting is a big
interest of yours and if you have plenty of money in your budget, possibly the
200 Hz filter will help occasionally.  I have a 700 Hz filter, which INRAD
offers from time to time, and thought it would be my favorite filter for casual
CW operation, however since the DSP with an SSB filter, or the 400
  Hz filter sound so good on CW, I do not consider it necessary.
      I believe you can upgrade to the 2.8 kHz from the stock 2.7kHz filter for
a modest cost which some SSB ops consider worthwhile.  I use resonant antennas,
however I have the internal tuner since I want to occasionally venture into
parts of bands where my antennas have higher SWR.
          Rick  KL7CW    mostly CW since 1954       A Happy K3S owner for about
2 years
Sent from Mail for Windows 10