      From: "Dauer, Edward" <eda...@law.du.edu>
 To: "elecraft@mailman.qth.net" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
 Sent: Saturday, June 2, 2018 2:15 PM
 Subject: [Elecraft] KPA1500 Fan Noise

I have been following this thread with interest because I have a KPA1500 on
order, and I have very limited flexibility as to where the RF deck can go
compared to where I will have to sit.

Don's video was very well done and a great help in understanding the realities.

I know zero about thermodynamics, and so wanted only to say thanks to everyone
who is contributing ideas, and to make but two comments.

First, as to water cooling, I suspect it would be a huge weight penalty to get
the cooling fluid everywhere it needs to be.  So far as I know there is only
one reciprocating engine made for aircraft that has a water jacket.  (There
might be others nowadays - I haven't owned an airplane for some years.)  The
reasons others don't are reliability, safety, complexity, and - mostly -
weight.  Second, isn't this largely a contest-operating issue?  I believe we
are still governed by the rule that we may use only that amount of power
necessary for the communication.    I contest too, so I'll face the problem on
those occasions, but not for casual ragchews.  I plan to make some graphs of
when in terms of time, power, mode and band the fans on mine kick up a notch,
and use it as a general operating guideline if I need to.

Ted, KN1CBR