Phil,

I don't know about 'Spam bytes', but I use Spambayes
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/ - it is free and quite effective,
especially if you have a fair amount of good and junk emails stored up to
train it.  I have only had a few false positives, and it catches all but a
very few spam emails.  Of course, I included a goodly number of the Elecraft
reflector emails in the 'ham' category when I trained it  Right now I have
over 1000 good emails saved up, and an equal number of more recent spam -
Training it is just a matter of telling it which email folders contain 'ham'
and which contain 'spam'.

I use Outlook, and Spambayes runs as a plugin, so it is almost seamless.  It
also has a pop3 filter capability and an IMAP capability for those who do
not use Outlook - but I switched to Outlook so I could use Spambayes
seamlessly.

Make certain you get the correct one - there is a site called spambayes.com
that does not list the real Spambayes from sourceforge.net, but does list
several 'for cost' spam filters - I tried a few of them before discovering
Spambayes and have never looked back.

73,
Don W3FPR