If you HOLD the ATU TUNE button, you switch the ATU between IN and BYPASS.
When you tap ATU tune, and provide some RF from the exciter, the ATU searches
for a match.  If the SWR of the antenna is good enough without ATU reactances,
the ATU discovers that the best tuning solution for that frequency is
“bypassed”. And when that happens, both ATU LEDS are illuminated.  If you tune
further up or down the band, and your antenna SWR is above 1.2, the ATU will
insert reactances and if it does, the ATU BYP LED is not illuminated.

73 de Dick, K6KR