I discovered a problem I had never had before.  Because I recently had minor
skin surgery on my head, I was not using my headphones as usual for CW on my
KX3.  Instead I hooked my SP3 speaker into the headphone jack on the KX3.
Volume was fine for the actual signal but the monitor sound level was not very
loud.  Due to the fact that the band was noisy this morning (20 meters, 14.014
MHz to be more precise) I had significant trouble hearing my own CW via
monitor.  With monitor volume level turned all the way up, 40 I think, it was
distorted enough to be causing ill to my sensitive ears.

Is this expected behavior?  No preamp on that SP3 connection, direct headphones
jack to SP3.  With headphones alone and even with the internal KX3 speaker,
monitor level is just fine, no problems.

Thanks for help or comments.

73, phil, K7PEH