As a point of clarification. When I was having a totally unrelated issue, I received a message from an Elecraft support person who stated among other things, "Our digital mode set up procedures call for the use of software commands to handle TX/RX switching instead of VOX control."

Since abandoning AM using my DX100 where a front panel switch initiated T/R switching and some use of a VHF multimode using PTT, like Jim, I've never used anything but VOX on any audio mode.

Wes  N7WS